The Masonic Hall, Sommerville Square, Burntisland KY3 9DN
Granted B Listed Building Status on 24th November 1972
The Supplementary Information attached to to the Statutory List is as follows:
Late 16th Century with extensive 19th Century alterations and conversion to Masonic Lodge 1914 - 16. 2-storey house in irregular terrace. Harled with stone cills, painted margins and base course. Corniced doorcase with stop-roll-moulded arrises.
N (entrance) elevation: deep-set timber panelled 2-leaf door with plate glass fanlight to left of centre, window to left and inset panel to right, small window and low door to outer right; window to right between floors, narrow window to left at 1st floor.
S elevation: projecting gabled bay to left with proud modern full-height stack at centre flanked by blinded windows at 1st floor, door to outer right with blind window to 1st floor in flat roofed extension. All windows blinded.
8 pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar coped skews, crowsteps and beak skewputts; coped ashlar stacks with some cans.
REFERENCES: Dean of Guild Records (ref 1914, 105 and 113 and 1916,25) RCAHMS Inventory (1933) p40.
NOTES: In 1596 William Boswell occupied this building, with the Robertson's of Newbigging in ownership by 1679. George Robertson sold in 1754, and finally passed to the officials of Lodge Dunearn in 1914. (Lodge Dunearn 400 was consecrated in December 1859 in the Forth Hotel). ".
17th Century inset panel (defaced), to the right of main entrance, is inscribed "Blisst be God for all His vageis".